Monday, September 15, 2008

Have you ever been spanked?

So today while we were having snack, one of my students brought up something about getting a spanking at home when they were bad. Since this topic is of debate for a lot of parents as to whether or not to spank or to find other sources of discipline, I decided to take a poll of my class to see how many of them had been spanked before. Out of 11 students that were there, 9 of them said they had. Interesting...I then asked them what did they do to get a spanking. They all started telling me things but the funniest one was, "I got a spankin when I peed myself."
I had to turn around and laugh. It isn't funny, but the way this child said it sure was.

And then as we were sitting at the dinner table tonight and Jamie was feeding Peyton chocolate chip cookie (which she shouldn't be having so I rolled my eyes), I told him that I guess I was going to have to be the disciplinarian in our family because he gives in to every thing she wants. To which he replied, "Well I guess that would make me the more liked parent." Oh great!
At least maybe she will respect me in 20 years when she learns to appreciate the structured life that she has had!

Good night!

1 comment:

The Cassidys said...

girl - you are so right! although, I am a softie for stuff like that so i'm kind of in the middle. that's totally uncool that jamie said that - i'll have to give him a spanking - although that would be kinda weird wouldn't it?