Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Things I Have Learned in the First Year of Being a Dad

Since Amanda is always blogging, I decided to take a page from her book and write one myself. Today Peyton is 11 months old and it got me to thinking about all the things I have learned the past year about being a dad.
  1. I really enjoyed the first few months and holding a small baby. Not to say I don't love holding her now, but she doesn't let me cradle her like she did when she was smaller. She is more independent and I really wish I had cherished that little thing more.
  2. No matter how many people tell me that "Da da" is easier to say than "Ma ma", it doesn't take away the specialness of her saying it first. I read and talked to her every night before she was born and I really think that had a lot to do with it being her first word. It might not have been but it really disappoints me when people try to trivialize such a special moment for me. It in no way affects the way it made me feel when she said my name the first time, but why people look to take that away from me or any parent will always astonish me.
  3. I try to never let anything else come before spending time with my child. She grows and changes so fast that I can miss big events just by being a work. So I make the time, as much as I can possibly spare, to spend with her. I will just lie down on the floor and let her talk to me or tell her about my day. As I look back now I can't believe it has almost been a year and I can't tell you where the time went.
  4. When they are playing by themselves, I like to just sit and watch her. It is amazing to look at all her expressions and how she studies things. She learns things quickly and sometimes it is almost like I witness that little light bulb going off when she makes a discovery.
  5. I occasionally take lazy afternoons and just let my daughter sleep on my chest or beside me on the couch for a few hours. Believe me, their is no better way to spend my time and I feel so close to her at those moments.
  6. No matter how bad my day is or how frustrated I may be, seeing my child takes it all away. She smiles or hugs me and all the things that make the world a bad place seem to disappear at that moment. That is the power of a child's love.
  7. Trips and vacations will never be the same and I am really glad about that. I do miss going to the beach or pool and staying all day, but seeing my daughter discover the sand and ocean for the first time more than outweighs these things.
  8. The night my daughter was born will be etched into my memory forever. I can tell you every detail of that night without a moments pause. It is one of those life changing moments that I will never forget and I am thankful for that.
  9. I have read a lot of books on parenting and listened to a lot of other parents but when it comes right down to it, no one knows what's best for my child better than me and my wife. So now I just have learned to listen to the advice and take it all with a grain of salt. If I feel it is right, I may follow it. But if I don't and my child is healthy and not developmentally challenged because of me, then I think I am doing a pretty good job as a parent.
  10. The last thing is a big one for me. I have come to realize that a daughter is really what I was meant to have for a first child. I think every man envisions having a son but I think my daughter has taught me so much more. I have become less selfish and more loving and I feel that the fact that she is a girl has helped me to get to that point. She is more delicate and more affectionate and I think I needed a little extra of that in my life. And I will always be thankful to her for helping me get there. In the end, I realize I should be grateful to God for just having a healthy child and I thank him every day for that.

Well, the 10 things I wrote above that I have learned these past 11 months are definitely not all the knowledge I have gained. But to me, they are the most important.

Although being able to change even the worst dirty diaper with one wipe is a handy skill to have also.

2 comments:

The Cassidys said...

wow jamie - i'm gonna cry. i really enjoyed that. i hope to see more blogs from you for the days to come.

Ashley and Rodney said...

That was amazing. I literally printed this out and am taking it downstairs for my husband to read - hope that's okay! Can't wait to see ya'll at the reunion.