Tuesday, August 5, 2008

New job, new life

Hello! Sorry it has been so long. I'm sure the 2 people who read this were wondering where I've been! I got a new job! And it is an actual career stepping stone! I am now a Pre-kindergarten teacher! I have 10 students (6 boys and 4 girls) and we have been through 2 days of school so far. The second day was much better than the first. The first day they used words like "butts" and "penis" but today was much calmer. Thank goodness! I was really nervous yesterday but it seems to get better the more control I feel like I have over them!
One student who just showed up today didn't actually say any words to me until about 12:00pm today. I would ask her questions and she would just stare at me. No nods, no shakes, no words. I was a little worried about it. Finally she started talking during our math flash card game. I guess she gets excited by numbers! Tomorrow I hope she actually forms a complete sentence in conversation with me. The funny part is, she is the only student who can already read, and her parents say she can write as well. So she could at least write me a note telling me "yes, more milk please" or "no, I'm done." :)
In the meantime, Jamie and Peyton are adjusting to me going back to work. Lucky for me (I think) Peyton is in the same school as me, right next door. We literally share a wall of our classrooms. When I was setting up, I could hear her crying and it broke my heart. And I have to duck when I walk by her room so she doesn't see me because when she does, she starts crying. Her teacher says she is getting better every day and the afternoons are better than the mornings. They must be because they made handprints today with paint. What a task to take on!
So I feel very lucky to have a teaching position now and I hope it is the beginning of a great career. I still have to go back to school eventually and also get a temporary certification until I get a degree. So that will be fun. I'm not sure when I will start. We'll have to see how the year goes!
Tomorrow I will try to take some pictures of my class and classroom! It is so cute I think! And as long as I take a picture in the morning before lunch they won't have food and milk on their faces.

No comments: